Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Domesticated Goddess and the Matron Musketeers

So for those who didn't know me in High School, here's a quick catch up on this particular subject to get you caught up! During my high school years I owned every sticker, t-shirt and what not on the earth that said "Goddess" or anything pertaining to it. Even now, I joke that I am a goddess. It's my thing, like Katy has the "Queen" title. Next- Shannie, Liz and I spent every waking day together during the last 2-3 years. We were even voted "The 3 Musketeers" at our drama awards, and since then, it's kinda stuck with us. Shannie now lives in northern Utah, married, with 2 kids and another on the way. Liz is getting married on the 26th(?), moving to Wyoming and then starting on kids right away. Then there's me, married, living in New York, with an 18 month child of my own. Needless to say, the three of us are busy and don't get to talk as much as we'd like to.



Yesterday I had the very rare and special treat of speaking to both of them at once! It took awhile to figure out how to do a 3-way call on my cell phone, but it eventually worked out and we were all able to talk! It was so cool! Shannie was home in UT, Liz was visiting her fiance's family in NV and here I was far out in NY. Yet we could all talk! I love technology!!!! We talked about a lot of different things, mainly Liz's wedding plans. But we discussed how strange it was (in between Shannie and I dealing with our children and Liz trying to keep her sister in law's dog down) that all three of us would be married! And not only did none of us participate in the other's wedding(s), but we'd all have children to keep us busy! growing up, eh?

Now, as I'm talking to them, I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies for my husband and setting my son down for a nap. It isn't so much that I'm cooking, caring for my child and had spent the morning cleaning that makes me feel "tamed", but the fact that when I unwrapped my new Kitchen-Aid mixer on Mother's Day, I totally flipped! I was SOOOO excited! I'd been hand mizing -everything- for the past 5 years, and always saying "this would be so much easier if I just had a mixer". Just a few short years ago, I would not have really had much need of a mixer. Althought I would have liked one, I lived off of gardenburgers before running to a club for the night.

I'm happy with my changes. Looking back, I admit that this is not quite where I thought I'd end up. This is in fact much better! I'm a mom with a very loving husband at my side and I'm happier than I've ever dreamed. No wonder we chose the name we did for our son. Damen's name means "to tame".

1 comment:

Katy said...

You have a kitchenaid!?!?! I am so jealous.